phone: +33 1 57 27 44 25
I have been trained as a neurophysiologist specialized in behavior, neuronal recording and optogenetic approaches with rodent models. Along my scientific career I specialized in developing innovative paradigms to study behavioural adaptation and regulation. I studied mouse models of disorders of motor and cognitive functions. Importantly, I became an expert in pathophysiology of repetitive behaviors, notably with some recent work on compulsive behaviors of a mouse model of OCD-spectrum disorder (Burguière et al., Science 2013).
Recently, I developed with my research group some innovative approaches that we can modulate specific brain activities in a closed-loop design, either at rest or within a task. We developed innovative operant chambers where mice are performing complex cognitive tasks while their social, circadian and cognitive behaviours are monitored automatically and continuously using multiple sensors.
2018 HDR in Neurophysiology, Univ. Paris 6, France.
2007 PhD in Neuroscience/Cognitive Science. Univ. Paris 6, France.
2002 Master’s Degree in Cognitive Science. Univ. Paris 6, France.
2001 Degree in Neurophysiology and Cellular Biology Univ. Paris 6, France.
Training and Professional Experience
2019-present Team Leader of the “Neurophysiology of Repetitive Behaviors” lab, ICM, France.
2014-present Tenured research scientist at the Paris Brain Institute (ICM), Paris, France.
2007-2013 Post-doctorate associate. Graybiel laboratory, MIT, Cambridge, USA.
2002-2006 PhD student. Collège de France, Paris, France.
2004 Research Assistant IRCCS, Santa Lucia, Roma, Italy.
2000 Research Assistant University of Portsmouth, Portsmouth, England.
PUBLICATIONS AND PROCEEDINGS
Schreiweis C, Irinopoulou T, Vieth B, …, Burguière E, Enard W, Groszer M. (2019). Mice carrying a humanized Foxp2 knock-in allele show region-specific shifts of striatal Foxp2 expression levels. Cortex, Sep;118:212-222.
Benzina N, N’Diaye K, Pelissolo A, Mallet L, Burguière E (2019). A cross-species assessment of cognitive flexibility in compulsive disorders. BioRxiv, https://doi.org/10.1101/542100
Mondragon L. & Burguiere E. (2017). Bio-inspired benchmark generator for extracellular multi-unit recordings. Sci Rep 7, 43253.
Schreiweis, C.*, Bornschein, U.*, Burguiere, E., Kerimoglu, C., Schreiter, S., Dannemann, M., Goyal, S., Rea, E., French, C. A., Puliyadi, R., Groszer, M., Fisher, S. E., Mundry, R., Winter, C. et al. (2014). Humanized Foxp2 accelerates learning by enhancing transitions from declarative to procedural performance. PNAS, 111(39), 14253-14258.
Burguiere E., Monteiro P., Feng G. P., & Graybiel A. M. (2013). Optogenetic Stimulation of Lateral Orbitofronto-Striatal Pathway Suppresses Compulsive Behaviors. Science, 340(6137), 1243-1246.
Burguière E., Arabo A., Jarlier F., De Zeeuw C.I., Rondi-Reig L. (2010). Role of the cerebellar cortex in conditioned goal-directed behavior. J Neurosci. Oct;30(40):13265-13271.
Burguière E., Arleo A., De Zeeuw C.I., Berthoz A., Rondi-Reig L. (2005). Spatial navigation impairment in mice lacking LTD: a motor adaptation deficit? Nat Neurosci. Oct;8(10):1292-4.
Schreiweis C, Volle E, Durr A, Auffret A, Delarasse C, George N , Dumont M, Hassan BA, Renier N, Rosso C, Thiebaut de Schotten M, Burguière E, Zujovic V. (2019) A neuroscientific approach to increase gender equality. Nat Hum Behav. 2019 Dec;3(12):1238-1239.
Benzina, N., Mallet, L., Burguiere, E., N’Diaye, K., & Pelissolo, A. (2016). Cognitive Dysfunction in Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. Current Psychiatry Reports, 18(9).
Burguière, E., Monteiro, P., Mallet, L, Feng, G, Graybiel, A.M. (2015). Striatal circuits, habits, and implications for obsessive-compulsive disorder. Curr Opin Neurobiol. Sep 18;30C:59-65.
Rondi-Reig L, Burguière E. (2005). Is the cerebellum ready for navigation? Prog Brain Res.;148:199-212.
Zugaro MB, Arleo A, Déjean C, Burguière E, Khamassi M, Wiener SI. (2004) Rat anterodorsal thalamic head direction neurons depend upon dynamic visual signals to select anchoring landmark cues. Eur J Neurosci. Jul;20(2):530-6.
For a complete list of publications: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=WWwjxIgAAAAJ&hl=fr&oi=ao
- Burguière, L. Mallet (In Press), Basic mechanisms of and treatment planning for OCD; in Geddes JR, Andreasen NC and Goodwin GM (Eds). The New Oxford Textbook of Psychiatry 3edn. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK.
B Aouizerate, E Burguière, M Le Moal – (2017) 4.3 Modèles animaux en psychiatrie: principes généraux,: In Rouillon F. et Guelfi J-D. (eds) Manuel de Psychiatrie 3ème édition, Elsevier Masson.
Main conference invitations (last 5 years)
2020 International meeting of the Integrated Brain & Behavior research center (IBBRC), Haifa, Israel
2019 Swiss Fondamental Swiss Foundation meeting, Genova, Switzerland
2018 European Neuroscience meeting (FENS), Symposium chaired by R. Costa, Berlin, Germany
Conference “Optimizing animal models for neuropsychiatric disorders”, Cologne, Germany
Passwell annual conference “Bridging basic and translational science”, Weizmann Inst., Israel
2017 Annual “IoN-ICM students workshop”, University College of London, United Kingdom
2016 Conference European Winter Brain Conference meeting, Switzerland
Conference during the French American Innovation Days, Boston, USA
Seminar at the Herseninstituut, invited by Ingo Willhun, Amsterdam, Netherlands
2015 Inaugural lecture at the annual meeting of AP-HP, Paris, France
Conference Annual Cerebrovascular Disease Society meeting, Paris; France.
2014 Conference Psychiatric Disease and Animal Models symposium, Paris 8 University, France.
2013 Conference Society of Biological Psychiatry, San Francisco, USA
Conference French Society of Psychiatry, Nice, France
Fondation de France – Program « New avenues in Psychiatry » (2020-2023 ; Coordinator)
Closed-loop neurostimulation to prevent compulsive behaviors
ANR International Program (2019-2022; Coordinator)
Project DOPALOOPS: “Modulating the shift from goal-directed to habitual behaviors by manipulation of dopaminergic striatonigral loops”
ANR Young Investigator Program (2017-2021; Coordinator)
Project SINREP: “Role of the Striatal Inhibitory Networks in Repetitive Behaviors”
Labex consortium BIOPSY + IHU Translational Neuroscience (2016-2018; Co-coordinator)
Project DECIMOTIV: “Motivation and Decision”
2013 Prize for the best scientific article of the year (French Society of Psychiatry).
2007 Prize for the best neuroscience PhD thesis of the year (French Society of Neuroscience).
2005 Prize attributed by Lilly Institute for the PhD work accomplished.
2013 FRM Foundation for 2 years of funding as a research scientist.
2010 Simons Foundation for a 2 years postdoctoral fellowship.
2007 EMBO for a 2 years postdoctoral fellowship.
2002 University Paris 6 for pursuing a 3 years PhD project.
Teaching and conference organization
Neuroscience master program BIP, Sorbonne University, Paris, France.
Neuroscience master program, Ecole Normale Supérieure, Cachan, France.
Biological Psychiatry Summer School, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Organizer of an international conference on open neuroscience (200 attendants), ICM, Paris.
Organizer of an international conference on optogenetic (200 attendants), ICM, Paris.
- Lamothe, H., Poupon,C., Poupon, F., Mallet, L., Burguière, E.: Anatomical characterization of the cortico-striatal circuits in SAPAP3-KO mice by high definition fiber tractography. Meeting of the International Basal Ganglia Society (IBAGS). Biarritz, France
- Euvrard, N. Benzina, Y. Travert, P. Tissier, G. Penderia, E. Burguiere: The Behavioural and Ecological Automated operanT Box (BEATBox): a flexible and low-cost system for high-throughput behavioural data acquisition. Meeting of the International Basal Ganglia Society (IBAGS). Biarritz, France.
- Euvrard, P. Domenech, E. Burguière. A translational study to behaviorally, computationally and neurophysiologically investigate the exploration – exploitation trade-off. ICM-ION Workshop, Paris, France.
- Lavielle, C. Schreiweis, E. Burguière. The role of striatal parvalbumin interneurons in perceptual decision-making. ICM-IoN Workshop, Paris, France
- Schreiweis, M. Gacoin, G. Penderia, J. Daunizeau*, E. Burguière*. Probing the motivational control of decision making in mice using an in-house automatized, high throughput behavioral task. Justen Passwell Syposium, Rehovot, Israel.
- Schreiweis, C., Gacoin, M., Penderia, G., Daunizeau, J.*, Burguière, E.*: Motivational control of decision making in mice using an automated, high throughput behavioral task. Annual Meeting of the Federation of European Neuroscience (FENS). Berlin, Germany.
- L. Mondragon, E. Burguière. Combining a real-time closed-loop approach with optogenetics: An integrative approach to investigate the pathophysiology of repetititve behaviors. OPTO-DBS congress, Genova, Switzerland.
- Schreiweis, C., Gacoin, M., Penderia, G., Daunizeau, J.*, Burguière, E.*: Probing the motivational control of decision making in mice using an automated, high throughput behavioral task. Annual Meeting of the Society for Neuroscience (SfN). Washington DC, USA.
- E Lousada, C Schreiweis, B Nait Oumesmar, E Burguière. Cortico-striatal myelination in the context of pathologically repetitive behaviours. RIKEN BSI Summer Program, Kyoto, Japan.
- Benzina, K. N’diaye, L. Mallet and E. Burguière. Neuromodulation of the hyperdirect pathway to study flexibility as an endophenotype of obsessive compulsive disorders. Conference “Science of Translation: Optimizing Animal Models for Neuropsychiatry”, Koln, Germany.
- Benzina, K. N’diaye, L. Mallet and E. Burguière. Neuromodulation of the hyperdirect pathway to study flexibility as an endophenotype of obsessive compulsive disorders. Synapsy congress, Genova, Switzerland.
- Schreiweis, U. Bornschein, E. Burguière, et al.: The human version of Foxp2, a gene implied in language and speech acquisition, accelerates proceduralization during learning. Dopamine 2016 Symposium, Vienna, Austria.
- Benzina, K. N’diaye, L. Mallet and E. Burguière. Neuromodulation of the hyperdirect pathway to study flexibility as an endophenotype of obsessive compulsive disorders. 2nd International congress on DBS, Dusseldorf, Germany.
- Lamothe H., Valabrègue R., Santin M., Petiet A., Mallet L., Burguière E. Movement disorders or compulsions? Anatomical and functional characterization of SAPAP3 mutant mouse model. Workshop ICM Imaging platform, Paris, France.
- L. Mondragon, E. Burguière. Open-source tools for electrophysiology and optogenetics. Congress “Opto-ICM”, Paris, France.
- Benzina, SL Mondragon, N Ouarti, L. Mallet and E. Burguière. Neurocognitive basis of compulsive behavior: a translational approach. Opto-DBS conference, Genova, Switzerland.
- SL Mondragon, N Ouarti, E. Burguière. A millisecond short-latency reprogrammable silicon chip solution for the pre-processing of electrophysiological data: Towards a real-time closed-loop approach. Society for Neuroscience meeting, Chicago, USA.
- SL Mondragon, N Ouarti, E. Burguière. Generation of neurophysiological data-driven benchmark for evaluation of real time closed-loop system. Society for French Neuroscience meeting, Lyon, France.
- Benzina, SL Mondragon, N Ouarti, L. Mallet and E. Burguière. Neurocognitive basis of compulsive behavior: a translational approach. Society for French Neuroscience meeting, Lyon, France.
- Benzina, SL Mondragon, N Ouarti, L. Mallet and E. Burguière. Translational approach to study flexibility as an endophenotype of obsessive compulsive disorders. Society for Neuroscience meeting, Washington, USA.
Benchmark generator for simulating electrophysiological data (2017) (Open-access, SL Mondragon and E Burguière, Scientific Reports publication)
2019: Seminar at Pasteur Institute, Paris, France
2017: Seminars at Institut Fer à Moulin and Poitiers university, Paris, France.
2016: Seminar at the Herseninstituut, invited by Ingo Willhun, Amsterdam, Netherlands; Seminar at Cognitive Science Institute, invited by Leon Tremblay, Lyon, France.
2015: Seminar at the Laboratory of cognitive science, invited by Bruno Poucet, Marseille, France.
2013: Seminar at Mayo Clinic, invited by Kendall Lee, Rochester, USA.